Early Years Foundation Stage [EYFS]
At Herringham Primary Academy, our priority is to facilitate effective learning for every child, every lesson, every day.
We provide children with the best possible start to their education and have high aspirations for what they can achieve. We know that all children are natural learners who will thrive in the right environment.
We want all of our children to leave Early Years Foundation Stage [EYFS] as compassionate, aspirational, resilient and responsible learners.
We follow the statutory EYFS curriculum. Our ambitious curriculum is organised into broad themes, which supports our pupils to develop their communication, curiosity, creativity and critical thinking. We celebrate the amazing diversity we have in our school by choosing representative resources and books and by learning about different cultures. Whilst we plan meticulously for each child’s development, we maintain flexibility to allow us to respond to their unique interests and needs.
What is our teaching approach in the Early Years?
- A mix of engaging child-initiated and adult-led activities;
- A balance of carefully planned purposeful play and direct teaching;
- Exciting learning opportunities both inside and outside the classroom, including forest school;
- Exposure to a wealth of rich language through a wide range of books and quality, meaningful interactions;
- Caring, kind staff who model positive learning behaviours;
- Learning environments that inspire and excite;
- Targeted key experiences, trips and workshops to stimulate learning;
- Technology, including virtual reality and green screens;
- Support to manage emotions and personal relationships;
- Individualised, inclusive learning that takes into account each child’s unique interests and needs.
“Pupils are interested in their learning. They listen to their teachers and each other and work well together. Pupils stand up confidently in lessons to answer key questions. They speak with understanding, remembering their most recent learning.” OFSTED May 2022
Have more questions? Book a tour or give us a call.